Job Description: Executive Director
Location: Ohio, This is a fully remote part-time contract position.
Compensation: compensated at a rate of $42, 000 per year for an estimated 30-hour workweek.
The Buckeye Environmental Network (BEN), is a non-profit committed to empowering grassroots organizations, individuals, and local communities to advocate for environmental justice. There is no Planet B. Now is the time to get serious about making long-term changes that prioritize a healthy environment and economy. If you’re tired of private companies extorting our valuable and non-renewable resources, it’s time to join us and push back against injustice and protect our vital resources like water, air, and food. BEN is currently working in communities that are impacted by oil and gas development.
Date Posted: Mar 11,2022
Please submit resume to Board Chair, Cheryl Johncox, email@example.com
Deadline for applications is: Apr 8, 2022
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director leads the strategic, financial, operational, and administrative functions of the organization, consistent with the efficient use of Buckeye Environmental resources. The Executive Director develops and implements goals, strategies, and policies that result in effective and responsible management of the organization’s programs, people, and finances. The Executive Director will have the overall responsibility to work toward Buckeye Environmental Network mission and purpose and will have direct accountability and responsibility for development and implementing overarching vision and strategy.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles in relation to non-profit/ voluntary organizations
- Grant writing and fundraising diversification
- Knowledge of human resources management
- Knowledge of financial management
- Knowledge of project management
- Proficiency in the use of computers for word processing, e-mail, Google workspace, and general internet usage
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include all or some of the following:
In Conjunction with the Board of Directors
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Directors on all aspects of the organization’s activities
- Act as the organizational spokesperson and conduct official correspondence on behalf of and/or jointly with the Board as appropriate
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials
- Foster effective teamwork between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and staff
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities and expectations of the Board
- Develop vision and strategic plans to guide the organization.
- Work with staff and the Board (Finance Committee) to prepare a comprehensive budget, and ensure adequate funding of operations
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditures of the organization
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage and that Board and staff understand its terms, conditions and limitations
- Oversee and monitor the day-to-day operation of the organization and its delivery of the programs and services to maintain or improve quality
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects
- Manage staff in accordance with the personnel policy
- Recruit, interview, select, onboard, train, and evaluate performance of staff
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization
- Ensure organizational data is securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed and that nonprofit taxation, reporting, and financials reporting and filing are administered
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fundraising plans, and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board